Assessment is closely linked to forward planning and when it comes to early childhood education and care, planning the integration of technology is important as it should:
- Develop the notion within young children that ICT products are tools designed for a specific purpose and;
- Educate young children by them identifying and learning about the technology in their everyday lives.
Effective practices in assessment for learning in early childhood should be embedded when using technology in early childhood education, just like other key learning areas.
Below you will find the examples of assessment for learning in early childhood that we recommend for the planning of child technological literacy in the 21st century.
Examples of Formative Assessment practices in Early Childhood.
8 Examples of assessment for learning in early childhood education that develops technological literacy for young children today:
- Planning for use of ICT in ECE – assessment is closely linked for forward planning in ICT learning.
- Monitoring children’s ICT learning – you should seek to find out what children are interested in, what they know, and what they can do in order to support their ICT learning effectively.
- Documentation – you need to record their disposition (habits of mind and actions, and tendencies, etc.) in ICT capability.
- Sharing perspectives and transition statements – providing information for other teachers will aid the development of ICT capability for the child.
- Enabling a formative assessment environment – are you allowing children to be successful learners and practice ICT skills or are you minimising their opportunity to do so?
- Involving parents and carers in planning – are you asking the right questions about a child’s ICT home experiences? Parents can help you to identify a baseline assessment through initial discussion, samples of recorded work at home, etc.
- Providing feedback – formative assessment feedback examples.
- Designing effective discussions, tasks, and ICT activities – the structure of your technology learning activities can have an impact on the value of assessment gained.
Free Online PD for Early Childhood Educators
'How to Integrate Technology in Preschool or Kindergarten?'
Join us today. Free starter course.