8 Key Attributes to Effective PD for Early Childhood Educators in ICT
Getting it right for your professional development in ICT is important these days. Despite evidence showing that there is a lack of this around, you need to be aware of what to look forward to ensuring that it will assist you in making an impact on learning in early childhood education and care.
If you want to start the process of integrating technology in early childhood education and care then it can all start with one single computer, one programmable toy, and even one digital camera.
Effective PD for early childhood educators in ICT will be the key to developing ICT capability and ICT literacy today.
8 key points of effective PD for early childhood teachers in ICT
According to Bolstad (2004, p51), there are key attributes that underpin successful ICT professional development in early childhood education. Each of these shares a strong similarity with the models which Prestridge outlines above.
- Involve teachers in setting the professional development agendas;
- Take place in the early learning environments;
- Involve small group collaborations;
- Build on teachers’ existing knowledge about curriculum and practice;
- Are based on a specific project that teachers plan to implement in their own classroom;
- Are linked to educational theory;
- Provide time and opportunities to experiment and reflect on new experiences; and
- Involve learning ICT skills on a “need to know” basis.
Effective professional development must enable participants to investigate and challenge assumptions, make change happen in their teaching strategies for early childhood, beliefs, and understandings.
The next time you go looking for professional development, make sure that the early childhood educators in your center follow the same approach to you.
This online pd for early childhood educators will help you in maximising the use of technology in preschool by building on young children's home experiences of technology.
Early Childhood teacher takeaways in this accredited online PD for early childhood educators are:
- Analysing the situation - effective planning depends on a thorough analysis of the situation at the outset;
- Maximise formative assessments strategies in ICT activities, tasks and projects;
- Select developmentally appropriate ICT tools and resources for learning;
- Employ evidence-based ICT teaching strategies in Early Childhood that develop ICT capability;
- Facilitate the progression of capabilities in ICT in the learning environment;
- Integrate ICT effectively in STEM projects;
- Embed safe and healthy practices with technology;
- Reflect on your teaching and learning with ICT.