Early childhood pedagogy in ICT is one of the many educational paths for early childhood teachers towards their professional development goals in integrating ICT (UNESCO, 2010).
It plays a crucial role in enabling early childhood teachers to support the development of ICT capability and ICT literacy in the Early Childhood Education and Care sector.
What is pedagogy in early childhood with ICT?
In an early article, I outlined it is about ensuring that you embed technological activities that develop ICT capability in early childhood education and care activities.
ICT pedagogical practices in childcare, preschool and kindergarten can build on a child's prior capabilities in ICT.
Like many children today begin their education in early childhood with already some degree of capability in ICT, it is imperative that early childhood teachers take advantage of this and plan to build on children’s home experiences with ICT in order to ensure learning progression in early childhood towards ICT capability and ICT literacy in children.
On top of this, UNESCO (2010) quoted this statement in relation to a key goal for any person planning to improve their capacity as an early childhood teacher:
“…new technologies require new teacher roles, new pedagogies….The successful integration of ICT into the classroom will depend on the ability of teachers to structure the learning environment in non-traditional ways, to merge new technology with new pedagogy.”
ICT use at home is an important factor for an early childhood teacher to consider in their planning for the integration of ICT in the early childhood setting. Children grow up in technologically rich environments.
So it is vital that you understand children’s home experiences of technology so that you can begin to build up a picture of the experiences they bring with them.
This is the first part of the ICT pedagogy in early childhood which we deliver to you in our accredited online workshop.
Other key outcomes in this online early childhood workshop for Preschool, kindergarten, and Early Years Primary teachers:
- Embedding formative assessment in early childhood – focusing on monitoring, documenting, and observing capabilities in ICT.
- Selecting developmentally appropriate ICT tools – based on the key guidelines you learn the best ICT tools in early childhood education that will encompass the development of ICT capability and ICT literacy.
- Employ evidence based teaching strategies with technology – in support of your selection of ICT tools you learn to provide the right scaffold and affordances for children in early childhood education and care.
- Understand health and safety issues with ICT in early childhood education – this is a vital part of a child’s understanding of the use of ICT in their lives.
- Perceive the role that ICT has in STEM in early childhood education.
This online workshop will provide you with early childhood pedagogies you need to optimise technology in childcare, preschool, and kindergarten. Join colleagues now.
ICT pedagogy in early childhood education and care is vital for the digital economy of today to have proficient users of ICT. The development of ICT capability and ICT literacy at this stage of education will be one of society’s pillars in education as technological developments continue to emerge and engage our children.
To learn more this online workshop for preschool teachers and their counterparts in other areas of early childhood education and care, click the below button now.
Completing this online workshop in early childhood education pedagogy in ICT will contribute to 5 hours of NESA and TQI registered PD addressing 2.6.2, 4.5.2, and 5.1.2 of Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW, Vic, ACT, and QLD.